One thing I’ve come to love is the ease of making a lot of meals with one main ingredient. I tend to look up a batch of chicken on Sunday to use in several meals throughout the week. As in the case with my Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup. I baked up a couple of chicken breasts and thighs with a tri-pepper and onion blend and happiness was had.
Leftover chicken and its stock makes for an awesome tortilla soup. Combined with a few pantry items you can have this dish on the able in 35 minutes or less. Leftover chicken and veggies are your friend! Check out the recipe below
- 2 and 1/2 cups of Cooked Shredded Chicken with leftover stock (I favor a mix of thighs and breasts for this dish) Cooking chicken in a mix of onions and peppers helps flavor the dish. Shred the chicken along side the onions
- 3 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1 cup of Water
- 1 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 can of Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes & Chile's
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 Cup of Fresh corn from cob
- *optional toppings : tortilla chips, avocado, cheese, soup cream, cilantro
- In a heavy bottomed pot combine, chicken stock, water, tomato sauce, lime juice and bring to slight boil.
- Lower heat and stir in cooked chicken and peppers, corn, black beans, and tomatoes.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with Salt, Cumin and Paprika to taste.
- Cook covered for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot along side your favorite toppings.